Georgetown University obtained a Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant from NIH in 2011 and as part of this, and furthering my collaboration with Dr. Kevin FitzGerald, a bioethicist at GU, I developed this course <in exchange for $>. I co-taught the course with Dr. FitzGerald in Fall 2012 and we obtained a small private foundation grant to offer it to Neuroscience PhD students in Spring 2013. This is a full-semester, 3-credit course, graded as pass/fail.  The course is designed around two key learning goals: 1) to initiate a career-long developmental path for the reasoning skills required to explain and justify decisions regarding ethical questions and dilemmas; and 2) to learn as much as possible about the nine areas that the National Institutes of Health has identified as representing the key elements of training in the responsible conduct of research. Students in the Spring 2013 course are completing surveys of their sense of confidence and competence, and satisfaction with learning opportunities around the responsible conduct of research (RCR), and will be completing a performance portfolio at the end of the semester and again at the end of the year (October 2013) to help us understand whether sustained attention to ethical reasoning beyond a semester-long course <in the form of journal club meetings> will promote their movement through the developmental trajectory laid out in the Mastery Rubric for RCR.  We (Dr. Fitzgerald and I) published this Mastery Rubric in 2012; we received an NSF grant supporting it for *faculty* in 2012 and the private foundation grant for *students* in 2013.

Syllabus: ethics_course_syllabus_Spring2013.pdf