In 2009 I was invited to Virginia Tech to give two talks; one was about the mastery rubric (MRtalk.16mar09.ppt)- about which much more (and much greater detail) is given on a separate page in this portfolio. The other talk was about the Vygotskian idea of 'scaffolding' and what this can mean for higher education - specifically, for higher order thinking in college and post-baccalaureate settings. Scaffolding is defined as instructor-mediated construction of knowledge. A key element is the zone of proximal development (ZPD), and if the ZPD is reconceptualized as a metacognitive gap when considering adult education, rather than the cognitive gap it generally represents in children, then scaffolding can be applied in higher education. This work has informed my current interest in metacognitive development and specifically, how to both encourage and asses higher-order thinking. Scaffolding.talk.16mar09.ppt

In 2017 I revisited this work and a new manuscript was peer reviewed and accepted for publication in Briefings in Bioinformatics: https://www.academia.edu/35041750/Degrees_of_Freedom_Analysis_in_Educational_Research_and_Decision-Making_Leveraging_Qualitative_Data_to_Promote_Excellence_in_Bioinformatics_Training_and_Education